syncing two pcs

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 08:19:35 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 10:24 PM, Robert Smits <bob at rsmits.ca> wrote:
> On July 6, 2008 09:37:45 pm Paul wrote:
>> Does anyone know if/how gnucash can be run on two pcs and sync them
>> together?  I have duplicated both pc's file structures for the
>> application but only one actually contains data.  Any help would be
>> appreciated.
>>

> I just use rsync on both machines, and copy the file from the office machine
> to the laptop if it's the last one I updated. If I updated the laptop last, I
> just rsync in the opposite direction, and copy files from the laptop to the
> office machine. No muss, no fuss. Available on pretty much any distro.

I do the same (using rsync), to keep not only my gnucash files but my
entire home directory up-to-date as I move among my various machines
(each has a purpose in life, ranging from very mobile to very
powerful). rsync is a very useful application, but can be a bit tricky
to get the setup right. I recommend liberal use of the --dry-run
option, particularly if you use --delete. This allows you to see what
it would have done, but didn't. And, as Robert already observed, it's
crucial to remember to rsync *from* the computer you last used *to*
the computer you are about to use.

/Don Allen