Can Not Install Version 2.2.6

Russell Gadd russ.mail.lists at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 16 12:50:33 EDT 2008

Hello Ted

I created the bit in the wiki "Alternatively build a different version of
Gnucash directly from source" and would be pleased to augment these
instructions to deal with launching the app with a bit of help from you
please. When I installed my version I didn't use the opt directory but was
told about it later, so I didn't have the experience of trying to run it
from there. It seems that one advantage of installing it in the default
usr/local is that Gnucash magically appears in the Gnome menus (for me this
was after a reboot), but unfortunately Gnome is not clever enough to look in
opt.

My idea would be to create a "launcher" on the Gnome desktop (right click
the desktop for the menu option to create a launcher) to run gnucash from
/opt/gnucash-2.2.6/bin so that you end up with an icon to run it from. If
you want to try this, let me know if this is successful, and if there are
any special points to watch. I can then add this bit to the wiki - or maybe
you'd like to do it yourself. (You will gather that I'm a relative novice at
these things but maybe we can help each other to make a small contribution
to the Debian community)

Russell