Format of files for import.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 18 12:58:32 EDT 2008

Hi,

Paddy Walker <yarelea at paston.co.uk> writes:

> Derek,
> 	Thank you for your reply. In the event, I decided that my Chart of
> accounts could benefit from restructuring so I started from scratch. The
> tutorial is very helpful and progress has been on the steady side of
> spectacular.

Excellent!

> 	I believe I have discovered a bug in the calculation of VAT (sales tax)
> in bills. What is the procedure for reporting this.

Well, I would first suggest you read the docs to make sure you
understand how it is supposed to work.  Then you could post a
question to make sure you understand it correctly.  THEN if
it's really misbehaving you could file a bug report in bugzilla.

Note that if you use TaxIncluded and have a 4% tax on a total value
of $100, the tax is NOT $4.  The tax computation equation is ALWAYS
<subtotal> + <subtotal*taxrate> = <total>.  You always enter the taxrate.
The only question is whether you're entering the total or the subtotal.
TaxIncluded means you're entering in the total, so subtotal is
computed as:

  (1+taxrate)*subtotal = total
  subtotal = total / (1+taxrate)

and then

  tax amount == subtotal * taxrate == total*taxrate / (1+taxrate)

Hope this helps.