Reporting question

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Mon Aug 18 15:08:16 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 06:17:05PM -0700, Des Dougan wrote:
> Is there a way in GnuCash of showing net profit for a hardware sale
> (e.g. acquisition price - selling price) alongside other income streams
> such as consulting income? I'm trying to get better analysis data out of
> GC, and having income on one side and expenditure on the other doesn't
> fully do what I want.

probably. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here, but as I take
it, you could track inventory costs as an asset. Then record inventory
sales as money flowing in from that asset with a split to some income
account to record profit. That would then show the net profit as
income, and the cost of goods, and the repayment of such, would not
show up in P&L at all.

.02