Reporting question

Des Dougan des at douganconsulting.com
Tue Aug 19 00:10:00 EDT 2008

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 06:17:05PM -0700, Des Dougan wrote:
>> Is there a way in GnuCash of showing net profit for a hardware sale
>> (e.g. acquisition price - selling price) alongside other income streams
>> such as consulting income? I'm trying to get better analysis data out of
>> GC, and having income on one side and expenditure on the other doesn't
>> fully do what I want.
>
> probably. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here, but as I take
> it, you could track inventory costs as an asset. Then record inventory
> sales as money flowing in from that asset with a split to some income
> account to record profit. That would then show the net profit as
> income, and the cost of goods, and the repayment of such, would not
> show up in P&L at all.
>
> .02

Andrew,

Thanks for your response. At present, I record hardware I order in
Expenses:Computer Hardware and sales of said hardware (which is ordered
as required as I don't hold inventory) to clients under a similar Income
account.

If I understand what you are suggesting, I would record hardware
acquisitions under an Asset account instead of Expenses:Computer
Hardware. When I pay the vendor, that also comes out of the Asset
account tree (Chequing Account in this case). How would the sale to the
client reflect back to this? The split on sales to clients is the
Assets:Accounts Receivable account. Would doing what you suggest not
mess that up?

Sorry if I appear dense - it's because it's true!

Regards,

Des
--

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group Inc.

Office:     604-628-5434
Cell:       604-866-2848
Email:      des at DouganConsulting dot com

         www.DouganConsulting.com

Peace of Mind, One Computer at a Time.