All transactions from QIF import listed as unspecified ... me too

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 19 12:42:10 EDT 2008

"Donald Allen" <donaldcallen at gmail.com> writes:

>> The new matcher, used by OFX, HBCI, CSV, etc, is much more intelligent,
>> and even includes a Bayesian-style matching system.   But the QIF
>> importer doesn't use that infrastructure, yet.
>
> Derek --
>
> I'll add my vote to the importance of the .qif importer using the
> smart matcher. I import credit card statements every month and obtain
> those statements as .qif files. It's a pain that essentially every
> transaction gets mapped to 'Unspecified'.

No voting necessary..  We need developer cycles to do the migration.
Do you have any to supply?

As for txns getting mapped to Unspecified -- you just need to manually
go through and fix them.  Yes, it's a pain, but I think it's a little
easier in the importer than post-import.

> But I notice that you mention CSV, above, as using the smart matcher.
> Is there a way to import something like a credit card statement in
> .csv format, because they are available in that format from many of
> the credit-card companies. I note that the File->Import menu gives you
> a choice between importing .qifs or replaying .log files, so I'm
> guessing the answer to my question is 'no', but thought I'd give it
> try anyway.

CSV is in trunk, not in 2.2.  It'll probably be in 2.4, but the
importer is rather... broken.