Perl script for archiving old transactions

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.brookline.ma.us
Wed Dec 3 11:36:14 EST 2008

Attached is the current version of my Perl script for reading GnuCash XML
and archiving old transactions, for anyone who might find it useful.  I
zipped it to make it less likely that virus scanners would block it.

Derek: I've confirmed that the first time I posted this script was in 2005,
in particular on January 31.  If you think I posted it in 2003, then perhaps
you are confusing me with someone else who posted a similar script then.

Note all the disclaimers at the top of the script about what it does and
doesn't do.  I've confirmed that it works with GnuCash 2.2.7.  I also
updated it to eliminate the use of XQL queries and to use XML::LibXML
instead of XML::DOM.  This makes it much, much faster.

The reason why I wrote this in Perl rather than implementing it within
GnuCash is simply because it took me far less time to grok the XML format
and write the code in Perl using APIs I already know than it would have
taken me to become enough of a GnuCash programmer to implement it within
GnuCash.  My days of having enough time to hack on anything that strikes my
fancy are long gone.

  Jik