Allocating a "real" account into "virtual" accounts

Duane Fleer duane.fleer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 16:22:53 EST 2008

I would like to use GnuCash to keep track of a single physical savings-type
account that will be used as a holder for moneys allocated for various
purposes in "virtual accounts".  I've heard this described one time as being
similar to fund-based accounting.  I need to be able to deposit money in the
physical account, and allocate it in the program to the various virtual
accounts, allocate monthly interest as desired, and record payouts against
the appropriate "virtual account" with the payment also effecting the
balance of the tracking account of the real account (for reconciliation
purposes).  It's setting up this last bit that I'm a little confused about.
Is this possible, and if so, how can it be done?

Thanks.