Split Transactions

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 20:46:23 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Richard E. Barmann <reb68 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I have version 2.2.6. I have an Insurance payment to State Farm that is
> one bill/check and consists of my wifes Life Insurance/my Life
> Insurance/my Medicare Supplement/and a $1/00 fee for billing. I have
> tried 6 times to set the payment up as split
> 6 times and the figures keep jumping to the wrong column and then it
> disappears. I guess I really do not know what I am doing. I looked in
> the help file but did not find an answer there.  Any leads would be
> greatly appreciated.
> Thank You in Advance
> Dick Barmann

I have found the SIMPLEST thing to do is to create an ordinary split
transaction exactly the way you want it (using the check register for
example). THEN after that transaction is entered, select it and use
the Schedule Transaction command, then edit its schedule (because the
default schedule of once per day is probably NOT what you want!!).

If I need to go back and adjust figures for future scheduled
transactions (maybe I got a notice from State Farm saying the rates
will change effective February 15th or whatever), sometimes I have
found it easier to edit the transaction using the Scheduled
Transaction editor, but sometimes I have found it easier to create a
new scheduled transaction, and label it something like "State Farm
Homeowners (eff 2/2008)" and schedule it to start in February, and
have the old one expire before February. I guess in that case it
depends on how much notice you have of a rate change.