Where in GnuCash have we to write the unpaid (depts) ?

postmaster postmaster at gbenet.com
Fri Dec 5 01:10:17 EST 2008

Hi,

The rule is you do not put cheques through your bank account until the
bank has cleared them (reconciliation) - that is when you see it cleared
on your bank statement.

Have a debtors (asset) account. Write up what it is - remember it's an
asset because some one has bought goods or services from you. You have
to have some means to reconcile stock reduction for example.

So cheques that you receive for goods and services that you have
provided are first recorded in your debtors account. When a cheque gets
cleared by your bank you make a credit posting from your debtors to your
bank. You then make adjustments to sales account and the cost of sales
(stock) so your books balance.

Now that you have an asset account of people that owe you money - you
can then start chasing up debts - and at the end of year write off that
debt that you have not recovered.

Likewise you will have a creditor account - a liability because you owe
money. There can be many reasons why your cheques have not cleared - on
your bank statement they have forgot to go in their bank and pay in your
cheque - they got run over by a bus and are out of action for 6 months.

Regards,

David