How to follow and report the same accounts with several accounting hierarchy ?

Raphaël Maville rafmav at wanadoo.fr
Sun Dec 7 05:43:39 EST 2008

I have an accounting hierarchy which I must obey to (the accounting
association want me to use it): I use it.

To pay the yearly tax on income, I have to follow another accounting
hierarchy, the one of the report I have to send, this time wanted by the
tax administration: I must obey too!

Then I cannot leave the first for the second, and vice versa!

I have ways to manage this:
- rewrite all the accounts and all the transactions in a second file: I
think this is stupid!
- create a report in the first accounting hierarchy, which returns the
second one filled: perhaps the best solution ?
- Another (elegant and good ?) solution, between the two other ones,
that need an enhancement of gnucash: get possible to open two (or more)
accounting hierarchy in the same gnucash session: all the top level
accounts embedded in a mother and neutral top level (let's name it
"top-top level account"); this could be useful to follow together
"professional" and "personal" accounting (in the same window), with
functions to transfer money between them ("external" transfers); it
could be useful to, to follow the same accounts, the same money, the
same transactions with a top-top level hierarchy following the "true"
accounting, and a "virtual" one, which follow exactly the same accounts,
the same money, and the same transactions: this would not need to build
new reports... For now, this is impossible because we have to tell
gnucash what is the account type for the top level account (and some
sub-accounts do not fit in some top-level accounts). And I don't know if
all this work is useful in my case: send a given report to a tax
administration.