Managing dates for each transaction : date of record in the register, date of reconciliation, date of bank record in register, date of bank value

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 11 14:05:43 EST 2008

"Tommy Trussell" <tommy.trussell at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Raphaël Maville <rafmav at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>> Well, it seems that gnucash already holds three dates:
>> Post date
>> Entered date
>> Reconcile date
>>
>> If it have been possible to use the reconcile date else...
>> I mean, without writing in the date of use of the reconcile window (that
>> is what it is now), but for the date of bank value: to me, there is more
>> sense to write in my book when the bank knows the transactions, instead
>> of when I have opened (and used) the reconcile window.
>
> I don't use the feature much, but I have noticed that when I download
> transactions from the bank, the next time I go to the reconcile
> window, the items that had already cleared the bank are already
> checked. Is it possible that those transactions use the date the bank
> cleared the transactions, or do they use the date the importer
> processed the downloaded transaction file?

There is no "cleared date".  All the importer does is mark the
transaction as cleared.  Then when you bring up the reconcile
dialog is automatically checks off all cleared transactions with
a post-date prior to the reconcile-date.