auto rounding off

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Tue Dec 9 15:14:07 EST 2008

On 2008-12-09, Fred Bone wrote:

>> So i have set up few bank accounts in two kind of currencies (EUR and
>> HUF). And auto rounding for HUF (Hungarian Forints) making me almost
>> crazy. Is there any way to turn this off? I have tried to set 1/100 for
>> the account, but does not help.
>> Just for example entering: 1,90 (yes, it is not a typo. In hungary we
>> are using comma instead of dots.), and the system immediately turning
>> into 2,00.
>
> The system believes that forints only exist in whole numbers (see under
> Tools->Security Editor). I am not aware of any way to change this via the
> user interface (you could alter the source and rebuild).
>
> According to (English) Wikipedia, "It is divided into 100 fillér,
> although fillér coins have not been in circulation since 1999" and there
> are 280 Ft to the Euro. It also says "The 1 and 2 forint coins remained
> in circulation until February 29, 2008. After this date cash transactions
> were rounded to the closest 5 forints."
>
> What can you buy for one point nine forints?

I can't really answer for Hungary, but I have seen similar situations
elsewhere.  In France in 1990, the smallest coin in circulation was
FRF0.05, but bank accounts were resolved to FRF0.01, and it was
possible to write cheques and make card transactions at that level.

Catchweight items in the supermarket often came out to prices that
weren't multiples of 5 centimes; if you were paying cash, the cashier
would round to the nearest 5 when making change.