where to enter source for double entry

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Dec 10 14:50:43 EST 2008

At Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:12:42 +0000 Girard Aquino <girardaquino at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi. I am trying to pay off a debt we have with one of our family
> members. being an insurance agent, we bought a life insurance from him,
> and he was kind enough to credit 500 from his commission into our debt
> (not sure if i said that correctly - i mean he took off 500 from his
> commission and considered it payment from us for our debt). since
> gnucash always looks for a source for the money you transfer between
> accounts, where should I enter this amount as coming from? thank you.

Assuming you paid the full premium for the life insurance policy it
would work something like this:

Checking Account <full amount>  => $500 -> debt
				=> remainder -> life insurance

That is, the debt payment comes from the same source as the payment for
the life insurance.  You can also think of it like this:

Checking Account <full amount>  => life insurance => commision => $500 => debt
						  => insurance company

Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller at deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk