Announcement: Evaluation of GnuCash Data in OpenOffice.org

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 18:35:44 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 4:14 PM,  <regunk at freenet.de> wrote:
>   Hi and Merry Christmas!
>   I am the author of the macro (which is now an OpenOffice.org extension
>   <[1]http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/gnuc2ooo> also)
>   and will join the list again for a while.
>   Don, in the following I am referring myself to my Example 1
>   <[2]http://www.alice-dsl.net/gnuc2ooo/gnuc2ooo_en/Example1.html>:
>   Please experiment a little with the Row-Fields in the Data Pilot
>   Layout. Instead of "account-name" you could place "Level 2" there. Or
>   any other Level. Or both Level2 and account-name - you are not confined
>   to placing there one single field-name only. Does that help?

That is far beyond the point at which I encountered trouble. I was not
even able to run the SetGnuCashFilePaths macro successfully. It
produces the error message I mentioned in my original post.

>   Donald Allen, my experience with Gentoo-users is mixed. As far as I
>   understand Gentoo is not a standard distribution but every Gentoo user
>   compiles and composes his own customized system from the sources. As a
>   result they are sophisticated users that are willing and able to do a
>   lot of probing and research on their own, on the other hand nobody
>   knows what their system looks like and it is getting hopeless soon.

Some of what you say is true and much is not. Gentoo is a "standard"
distribution, in the sense that it consistently produces a working
Linux system very much like any other distribution. It is true that
each component is compiled from source, but unless you do something
very experimental, you are going to get pretty much the same results
you would get with any other distribution, perhaps with a bit more
performance (because everything is optimized for your particular
processor architecture, as opposed to the X86 lowest common
denominator). As far as no-one knowing what their system looks like
and everything being hopeless, that's just not true. Yes, Gentoo gives
you more rope to hang yourself than most distributions, but if you use
it sensibly and within your capabilities, you will get a good, working
Linux install that performs well.

And let me emphasize that I am running such a Gentoo system and have
for years. Gnucash works just fine, as does Firefox, Thunderbird,
Emacs and many other standard Linux apps, including OpenOffice. What
does not work is your macro set run with my OpenOffice. I'm not
blaming you or me or Gentoo or OpenOffice -- I don't really know where
the problem is. I'm simply saying that I have a solid. working Linux
environment, with the exception of your macros.

>   Nevertheless, let's give it a try. Please email me directly off the
>   list and for a start please send me a screenshot of the dialog window
>   where the headline is lacking.

Ok, will do.

>   Bob Williams and Doug Laidlaw (from November posts): I had this before
>   (Under 3.0.0 macro didn't show up, even when you this? Maybe it is the
>   same problem.

No, I don't think so. I *do* see the macros. They just don't work correctly.

Thanks for trying to help -- much appreciated.

/Don