cannot create Income or Expence account

chishiki chishiki at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 22:31:07 EST 2008

Hello Derek,

Thanks for your response, appreciate it. I was trying to create a top level
account, the problem was that income and expense account types were not
available in the "Account Type" section of the "New Account" page. Also, the
"New Account Hierarchy" page was not populating, there was nothing in
"Categories", no checkboxes and no account types. Editing gnucash.bat
resolved this issue I was describing.

A little background. I wanted to use GnuCash in English on Japanese Windows.
I was not able to quickly find a way to switch the language within the
interface itself so I deleted all the resource files except for en-GB (oddly
enough the .zip did not come loaded with en-US). Non-English resource files
were deleted from the following directories respectively:
C:\Program Files\gnucash\share\locale
C:\Program Files\gnucash\share\gnucash\accounts
Once they were deleted, and before I edited gnucash.bat, is when I was
having this problem. Sounds like my fault from the get-go, but thought I'd
leave this posted in case anybody else does this to themselves.

Thanks again for your time!