FW: Reconciliation problem - State of transaction as reconciled is not preserved.

Avner avner-moshkovitz at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 28 14:08:16 EST 2008

I have noticed that the ticking state of the transactions shows up according
to the "Statement Date" in the "Reconcile Information" dialog box.
If I choose a date which is earlier than the transaction, even though the
transaction was earlier ticked in the "Reconcile" page, it will show up as
NON ticked.
For example, if the "Statement Date" is set to 10/31/2008 and the
transaction is from 12/15/2008, then the transaction doesn't show up as
ticked in the "Reconcile" page. If I change the "Statement Date" to
12/31/2008, then the transaction does show up as ticked in the "Reconcile"
page.
This is confusing. Is this a designed feature, or a bug?

Regrads,
Avner

xxxxx-----Original Message-----
xxxxxFrom: Avner [mailto:avner-moshkovitz at shaw.ca]
xxxxxSent: Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:51 AM
xxxxxTo: 'Derek Atkins'
xxxxxCc: 'gnucash-user at gnucash.org'
xxxxxSubject: RE: Reconciliation problem - State of transaction as
xxxxxreconciled is not preserved.
xxxxx
xxxxxHello,
xxxxx
xxxxxThe state indeed changes from "n" to "c" in the "R" column in the
xxxxxregister account page. However, the problem is that after ticking
xxxxxtransactions in the Reconcile dialog box, postponing, and then
xxxxxreopening the Reconcile dialog box, the transactions appear as NON
xxxxxticked.
xxxxxSo you have no indication of what is already reconciled once you are
xxxxxresuming the reconciliation.
xxxxxThis happens only for some of the newer transactions (for earlier
xxxxxtransactions the ticked state is preserved when resuming the
xxxxxreconciliation). Therefore I suspect that this has something to do with
xxxxxthe new import or with the growing list of transactions.
xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxxOn another note, you mentioned that: "The OFX importer will mark
xxxxxduplicate/matched transactions as cleared".
xxxxxWhat does "duplicate/matched" mean?
xxxxxI noticed that if you import two files with overlapping transactions
xxxxx(e.g. a file with transactions for the months of October/November and a
xxxxxfile with transactions for the months of November/December) then
xxxxxduplicate transactions are handled correctly (i.e. do not show up
xxxxxtwice)
xxxxx
xxxxxI have experienced this problem with Gnucash 2.2.7 and 2.2.8 on Windows
xxxxxXP and Windows Vista
xxxxx
xxxxxRegards,
xxxxxAvi
xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx-----Original Message-----
xxxxxxxxxxFrom: Derek Atkins [mailto:warlord at MIT.EDU]
xxxxxxxxxxSent: Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:55 AM
xxxxxxxxxxTo: Avner
xxxxxxxxxxCc: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
xxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: Reconciliation problem - State of transaction as
xxxxxxxxxxreconciled is not preserved.
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxHi,
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxQuoting Avner <avner-moshkovitz at shaw.ca>:
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx> Hello,
xxxxxxxxxx>
xxxxxxxxxx> I have a problem with reconciling transactions on my credit card
xxxxxxxxxxaccount.
xxxxxxxxxx> After importing new transactions into gnucash, the reconciled
xxxxxstate
xxxxxxxxxxof the
xxxxxxxxxx> new transactions is not preserved.
xxxxxxxxxx>
xxxxxxxxxx> I downloaded a new period of credit card transactions from the
xxxxxcredit
xxxxxxxxxxcard
xxxxxxxxxx> online banking site and imported it into my gnucash data file.
xxxxxxxxxx>
xxxxxxxxxx> I reconcile some of the new transactions, choose Postpone, save
xxxxxthe
xxxxxxxxxxdata to
xxxxxxxxxx> file and exit gnucash.
xxxxxxxxxx>
xxxxxxxxxx> After reopening the gnucash application, the transactions show
xxxxxup as
xxxxxxxxxxnot
xxxxxxxxxx> reconciled.
xxxxxxxxxx>
xxxxxxxxxx> I have tried doing the same for transactions from a previous
xxxxximport
xxxxxxxxxx> successfully, i.e. the reconciled state is preserved
xxxxxxxxxx>
xxxxxxxxxx> I suspect that this have to do with gnucash handling growing
xxxxxamount
xxxxxxxxxxof
xxxxxxxxxx> transactions.
xxxxxxxxxx>
xxxxxxxxxx> Alternatively this may be related to multiple importing. I'm
xxxxxusing
xxxxxxxxxxGnucash
xxxxxxxxxx> 2.2.7 I have also tried version 2.2.8 with no success
xxxxxxxxxx>
xxxxxxxxxx> Thanks,
xxxxxxxxxx>
xxxxxxxxxx> Avi
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxWhen you Postpone the reconciliation it will NOT mark the
xxxxxtransactions
xxxxxxxxxxas RECONCILED (y).  However, it SHOULD mark the items as Cleared
xxxxx(c).
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxThe QIF importer doesn't touch the reconciliation bits at all.
xxxxxxxxxxThe OFX importer will mark duplicate/matched transactions as
xxxxxcleared.
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
xxxxxxxxxx> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx-derek
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx--
xxxxxxxxxx       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
xxxxxxxxxx       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
xxxxxxxxxx       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
xxxxxxxxxx       warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available