How to change menu and dialog language

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 29 10:30:51 EST 2008

Hi,

"Ying Shi" <sy8111 at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks,
>
> I have put line in gnucash.bat file:
>
> set LANGUAGE=en_GB
>
> But only dialog text changed to english , currency and account name are
> still not in English. Do I need to change other settings like COUNTRY or sth
> else? Please teach me how to, thanks.

Changing the locale will not change the names of existing accounts.
Your accounts are your accounts, regardless of what language your
system is using.  If you created an account tree using Chinese
account hierarchy then your account names will remain in Chinese
in perpetuity.  This is a feature.

As for currency...  Your account currencies are also encoded
in the data file and not changed based on your locale.  If you
want to change the currency of an account then you will need
to edit the account settings.