Payable Liabilities to expenses via assets (how to) ?

Raphaël Maville rafmav at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 3 18:03:09 EST 2008

Thanks for this reply,

This morning and before this reply, I tried this, I think it is the
solution:

Remember the three accounts we have in the example:
- Liabilities:Account_Payable:XXX
- Assets:Bank:YYY
- Expenses:ZZZ

The best way I have found:
- 1. Create all the transactions from the XXX liability account to the
YYY expenses account at the beginning of the year (I owe this money
yet), (created monthly for more details, but I could create a single
transaction with the total amount, already known):

	Liabilities:Account_Payable (withdraw=credit)
		>(transfer to)>
	Expenses:ZZZ (deposit=debit)

- 2. In a scheduled transaction with a single transactions:

	Assets:Bank:YYY (withdraw=credit)
		>(transfer to)>
	Liabilities:Account_Payable:XXX (deposit=debit)

The advantages to do so:
- When I open the report of income-expenses or the report of
assets-liabilities, I know every time where I am with money: how much
are my benefits and when It begin to be so!
- The transaction appears only once I the bank account as in the
statements: It must be like this!
- The transaction appears only once in the expenses account, it is what
I need in the report of income-expenses!
- It does not matter if I see it twice in the liability account: deposit
and withdraw of the same amount in single transactions. This is great:
to see in a registre what I owe and is then
- I have a report of assets-liabilities, and this is great to follow my
accounts and know where I am, or better "how much" I am in my debts! how
much I still have to pay in the year and when!

I think I made an error of method to create all this, because I wanted
to manage three accounts at the same time, in a split transaction but
these are two different transactions!

Yesterday, I tried to find help in the tutorial in the help for "Account
Payable", I forgot that the examples for my problems are in the credit
card chapter!

You, the tutorial, and perhaps the night, coffee and retry of this
morning tell me now that this should be the best way (the only?).

Thanks for your answer!

rafmav

PS: Je comprends vite mais il faut m'expliquer longtemps" (I am fast to
understand but it needs time to explain me).