cannot create Income or Expence account

chishiki chishiki at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 11:08:05 EST 2008

Hello again,

I am attempting to attached screenshots to this message via Nabble, but have
also loaded them up
at the following URLs for your review just in case.

http://agilehokkaido.com/dev/gnucash/Only_Nine_Accounts-Notice_Only_En_GB_Resource_Files.jpg
I think you are right here. My bad.

http://agilehokkaido.com/dev/gnucash/New_Account_Hierarchy-No_Categories_Or_Account_Types.JPG
Please notice here that there is no way to create a new file account
heirarchy using the Heirarchy setup wizard. Again, this matter is resolved
when I set LANG and LANGUAGE to en_GB in gnucash.bat.

Cheers, Chi

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> chishiki <chishiki at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello Derek,
>>
>> Thanks for your response, appreciate the quick response. I was trying to
>> create a top level account, the problem was that income and expense
>> account
>> types were not available in the "Account Type" section of the "New
>> Account"
>> page. Also, the "New Account Hierarchy" page was not populating, there
>> was
>> nothing in "Categories", no checkboxes and no account types. Editing
>> gnucash.bat resolved this issue I was describing.
>
> I'm afraid that I do not believe you that you were trying to create
> a new top-level account.  The "Income" and "Expense" types are most
> definitely available *IF* your "Parent" is "New Top Level Account".
> But I do not believe that that is the case here.  Can you show a
> screen shot of the new account dialog showing this?
>
>> A little background. I wanted to use GnuCash in English on Japanese
>> Windows.
>> I was not able to quickly find a way to switch the language within the
>> interface itself so I deleted all the resource files except for en-GB
>> (oddly
>> enough the .zip did not come loaded with en-US). Non-English resource
>> files
>> were deleted from the following directories respectively:
>> C:\Program Files\gnucash\share\locale
>> C:\Program Files\gnucash\share\gnucash\accounts
>> Once they were deleted, and before I edited gnucash.bat, is when I was
>> having this problem. Sounds like my fault from the get-go, but thought
>> I'd
>> leave this posted in case anybody else does this to themselves.
>
> Correct, you cannot change the language within the interface.
> It assumes the system locale.  You can override the locale by
> setting the LANGUAGE and/or LANG variables in the gnucash.bat file.
>
> Having deleted all those other files could cause you problems.
> I recommend you re-install gnucash to reinstate those files
> and then you can re-modify gnucash.bat to act in the correct locale.
>
>> Thanks again for your time!

> -derek
>
> --

http://www.nabble.com/file/p21205148/Only_Nine_Accounts-Notice_Only_En_GB_Resource_Files.jpg
Only_Nine_Accounts-Notice_Only_En_GB_Resource_Files.jpg
http://www.nabble.com/file/p21205148/New_Account_Hierarchy-No_Categories_Or_Account_Types.JPG
New_Account_Hierarchy-No_Categories_Or_Account_Types.JPG

-----
http://AgileHokkaido.com Agile Hokkaido