test XML file after manual modification

Ian Smith-Heisters i at idiosyncra.tc
Tue Dec 30 13:33:41 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 6:38 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Ian Smith-Heisters" <i at idiosyncra.tc> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Say I *need* to manually modify the XML accounts file. Is there a set
>> of tests/actions I can perform in GnuCash that will ensure that some
>> weird problem won't appear as a result of my modifications a year from
>> now? Is the XML file's functioning an all or nothing thing? Is there
>> some way to validate it?
>
> Unfortunately no, there's no way to validate it, which is why we
> don't support manual modification of the data file.
>
> Why do you need to manually modify it?

I store my accounts file in a git repo. My accountant has a copy of
the accounts file I gave him last week, that he's working on.
Meanwhile, I have to do some bookkeeping. I figured the easiest way to
merge our changes would be to just store the file uncompressed and let
git do the merge. Is there any other way to manage asynchronous edits
to the file?