test XML file after manual modification

Marcus Wolschon Marcus at wolschon.biz
Wed Dec 31 04:52:55 EST 2008

2008/12/30, Ian Smith-Heisters <i at idiosyncra.tc>:
>> Why do you need to manually modify it?
>
> I store my accounts file in a git repo. My accountant has a copy of
> the accounts file I gave him last week, that he's working on.
> Meanwhile, I have to do some bookkeeping. I figured the easiest way to
> merge our changes would be to just store the file uncompressed and let
> git do the merge. Is there any other way to manage asynchronous edits
> to the file?

Be carefull. At the top of the file there are counts for
all accounts, transactions,... . Keep these consistent.

After doing my taxes for 2008 and releasing a new major
version of another program I am working on, I plan on adding
support for writing/loading gnucash-data from an RCS/SVN/CVS/..
to jGnucashLib-Editor. I guess in the process I will have to write
a tool to merge 2 gnucash-files anyway.
But this is going to be quite a while into next year.

I think using the "dateEntered" and 2 SingleTransactionTableModel
for a side-by-side -comparison of non-matching transactions
it should be possible to at least synchonize changes to transactions.
Stock-Quotes can just be merged (why would you ever want to delete
a stock-quote instead of adding a newer one).
I would not support merging changes to invoices, customers,...
for the time being.
(I guess even with the db-backend being released as stable "some  day"
there is still need for this every now and then when you work on your
accounting offline e.g. in a boring train-ride to work.)

Marcus