test XML file after manual modification

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 31 11:05:12 EST 2008

"Marcus Wolschon" <Marcus at wolschon.biz> writes:

> 2008/12/30, Ian Smith-Heisters <i at idiosyncra.tc>:
>>> Why do you need to manually modify it?
>>
>> I store my accounts file in a git repo. My accountant has a copy of
>> the accounts file I gave him last week, that he's working on.
>> Meanwhile, I have to do some bookkeeping. I figured the easiest way to
>> merge our changes would be to just store the file uncompressed and let
>> git do the merge. Is there any other way to manage asynchronous edits
>> to the file?
>
> Be carefull. At the top of the file there are counts for
> all accounts, transactions,... . Keep these consistent.

Another reason to be careful is that files are not idempotent.
If you re-save the XML file, even with no changes, the ORDER of
the xml objects in the file is not guaranteed to remain consistent.
So your file might "appear" to have changes even if you have no
changes at all.

This isn't a problem per se for using a SCCM like rcs, cvs, svn, or
git.  However it could be a problem if you use the SCCM to merge two
versions of your data file together.

So yes, be careful.