Accounts in multiple currencies

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Wed Dec 31 04:59:50 EST 2008

There was no reply to this, and I suppose that it partly didn't ask for one.

It seems to me that it isn't really a GnuCash question.  If you still have
income and expenses in GBP, most will now be in AUD. All that I can suggest
is that now you have moved to Australia, start accounting in AUD.   It will
be easier in the long run.  If your time here is limited, that is
different.of course.

Pick a convenient date, and convert everything at the exchange rate for that
day, including your budgets.  It will no doubt be time-consuming, but you
will need to do it only once.  If you have a transaction in GBP, use the
exchange rate for that time, just as my credit card does.

There may be no continuity in your budgets for the current year.  That is
inevitable.  When Australia adopted metrics, they asked that the two mile
course of the Melbourne Cup be exempted, to make all the old records still
relevant.  That was refused.  The Melbourne Shrine of Remembrance was set up
so that at 11 a.m on 11/11, the sun will light up the word "Peace."  They
didn't expect daylight saving to gum this up.  The R.S.L. wanted the clocks
put back to standard time just for that one day!  Eventually, they put in
some fix "all done with mirrors."

We have to move with our circumstances.

Doug.