Process Payment Feature Request

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Fri Feb 1 03:23:21 EST 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:35:28PM -0600, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> Hi - couple issues with the "Process Payment" process.
>
> I like it, it's quick, but I can think of a couple things that would
> make it even better.
>
> The process I follow to record my invoice payments:
>
> 1. Search for Customer
> 2. Show Customer's Invoices

the two steps above can be done much more quickly through the "Aging"
reports. If you run a vendor or customer aging report (check the
options to show accounts with zero amounts) you will get links in the
report that take you directly to the customer or vendor report showing
all the invoices. then click on the invoice you want. very fast and
easy.

> 3. When the payment is put in the checking account register, the
> description just has the customer's name - this isn't very
> convenient.  Could the invoice number also be added to the
> description?  "ABC Inc. - Payment of Invoice #0001"  I realize I
> could do this manually, but for processing lots of invoices would be
> a time-saver.

as I said in the other thread, gnucash doesn't apply payments to
specific invoices, but instead applies them to the account as a
whole. THe "paid" status of the invoices is purely a function of the
amount paid and the invoices age in the list.

> Is the ML a good place for this or is there a Trac or similar system
> I could file this request?

if you have a coherent, specific feature request, you could file an
enhancement bug at bugzilla.gnome.org under product gnucash.