Process Payment Feature Request

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Feb 1 10:27:05 EST 2008

On Friday 01 Feb 2008, Keith A. Milner wrote:
> On Friday 01 February 2008 13:21:42 Josh Trutwin wrote:

> As discussed, Gnucash works on a FIFO basis. Consider the scenario where
> you have three invoices as follows:
>
> INV #1 $200
> INV #2 $100
> INV #3 $300
>
> (listed in data order, earliest first)
>
> If you select INV #2 and pay $100 to clear it, INV #2 will still be shown
> as unpaid, this payment isn't ever marked in a way that links it to INV #2.
> If you could show "Invoices Due" it would look like this:
>
> INV #1 $100 due
> INV #2 $100 due
> INV #3 $300 due
>
> In other words, the payment goes to the chonologically first invoice.

Hi,

Whilst that certainly used to be true, I am _sure_ that a change was made,
probably in 1.8.x -> 2.0.0 where it is possible to pay a single invoice, in
full, out of FIFO sequence.  Therefore what you write above is (probably)not
true.
In the case where you select invoice #1 or #3 and make partial payment
 of $100, then I think you are correct, and inv #2 won't show as paid.

Likewise, if you select inv #3 and pay $200, inv 1 won't get marked as paid.
If you select inv #2 and pay $300, then I think that #1 and #2 get marked as
paid.  If you select inv #3 and pay $300, then it gets paid, and #1 & #2
still show as unpaid.

I'm not in a position at the moment to check this out fully, but I _do_
remember a change to the strict FIFO processing a few years back, because it
addressed a problem I had with reports getting out of whack.

Hope that doesn't muddy the waters too much.
Maf.