Extract numbers from the "Description" field?

David Lee Lambert as4109 at wayne.edu
Sat Feb 2 21:42:10 EST 2008

On Sunday 27 January 2008 09:51, you wrote:
> David Lee Lambert <lamber45 at msu.edu> writes:
> > I've been using GNUcash to track all my personal finances for about a
> > year.  Whenever I purchase fuel for my car,  I make a debit to
> > "Expenses:Transp.:Gas" with a note like this in the "Description" field:
> >
> >   Gas - 8.472 gal. - 181.6 mi.
> >
> > I'd like to export that into a spreadsheet so I can run reports and draw
> > graphs of things like fuel efficiency and fuel cost per mile.  Any
> > suggestions on where to start?
>
> If you're handy with XSLT or other ways to process XML, the data file
> shouldn't be too off-putting.

I did it in perl using XML::Parser.  It took longer than I had hoped,
although that might be partly because I hadn't used XML::Parser before.  I've
posted the script at

  http://www.lmert.com/download/gasInfo.pl.txt

in case it might help anyone trying to solve a similar problem.

--
David Lee Lambert (recent WSU grad) <as4109 at wayne.edu>
Cell phone:  +1 586-873-8813
Work email:  dlambert at bmtcarhaul.com