Some kind of permissions problem...

Matthew Leonhardt leonhardt at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Feb 4 12:28:06 EST 2008

Hello,

I recently upgraded a file hosting server that was sharing a drive with a
GnuCash folder.  The server and client machine went to Fedora 8 and
instead of manually mounting the share with NFS, I went to a SSHFS
automount.

Now, when I open GnuCash as the main user and load our master file,
GnuCash tells me it cannot obtain a lock--cannot find a lock file
anywhere.  If I choose to open it anyway, it will open fine but when I
save, it creates log files that are owned by root:root, not the user who
owns the original file (alison:alison), who is also the same user that is
executing GnuCash.  Furthermore, when it saves, it completely removes the
original file.  Basically, my directory looks like this:

(before)

-rw-rw-r--    1 alison alison   304K Jan  9 21:11 family
-rw-rw-r--    1 alison alison   170B Jan  9 21:11 family.20071212161315.log
... (whole bunch of old .xac and .log files, all owned alison:alison)

(after)

-rw-rw-r--    1 alison alison   170B Jan  9 21:11 family.20071212161315.log
... (whole bunch of old .xac and .log files, all owned alison:alison)
-rw-rw-r--    1 root   root     154B Feb  2 17:14 family.20080202171435.log

Obviously, this presents a problem for me.  Is the problem that I'm using
sshfs instead of nfs?  Or do I have my permissions screwed up somewhere?

TIA,
Matt