Unrealized capital gains from stock accounts

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 13:43:19 EST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 3:36 PM, placst80 <paolo_cst at yahoo.it> wrote:

> I saw some old discussion about the way the stock accounts are managed by
> Gnucash, and I'm not completely satisfied of what i read.

Where did you read this? I'd like to read it too.

> I'm looking for a
> convenient, easy way to track the value of my assets, including stocks, on
> daily basis, using strictly double entry accounting. I need to see
> something
> like an "unrealized gain/loss" account, and an actuaized value of my stock
> in the balance.
> There's a way to do it? If ther's no way, it's planned by developers to
> include this feature in future releases?

There should be a report that shows the unrealized gains/losses to you.
There's no account that shows that.

There is a method for keeping track of gains/losses of currency exchange in
an account discussed here:
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2008-January/023499.html

...and there's an older discussion about the same thing in the archives
somewhere.

If you are determined to keep unrealized gains/losses in an account, then
you could adopt the
same method for stocks, I would think.