GnuCash v2.21 - importing QIF file ...

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 13:31:03 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> zed <zed at zed.net.nz> writes:
>
> > For some time I have been using KMyMoney for my accounting needs.  I
> have
> > now changed over to the GNOME environment and decided to give Gnucash a
> > try but cannot import my account data files.
> >
> > Firstly, I saved the KMyMoney files as QIF.  Loaded Gnucash and clicked
> on
> > Import.  Went to the directory in which the account file was and them
> > clicked on Forward.  It appeared to be importing but I then got an error
> > message:
> >
> > QIF file parse failed.  Data for number or date does not match a known
> > format
>
> This error means either the number field or the date field failed.
>
> > The date format chosen for KMyMoney was the ISO yyyy.mmm.dd.  So I went
> > preferences in Gnucash and chose that date format and tried the import
> > again, with the same resulting error message.
> >
> > Can anybody on the list assist me with this problem, please.
>
> If you look in your QIF file (QIF is just text) then you'll see some
> examples.  The Date field is under 'D', and the number fields are
> under a bunch of other ones.
>
> Try to find a negative number somewhere.   IIRC that KMM exports
> negative numbers as:  (1234.56) instead of -1234.56 which would
> definitely confuse the GnuCash importer as the former is not a supported
> format.

If you can locate an example of a date and a negative number in your QIF
file, please post them here. I'm sure we can get your data into GnuCash -
it's just a question of whether we'll need to massage your QIF file a little
before letting the importer have it. Also, you may want to consider
upgrading to GnuCash 2.2.3, as there have been a number of recent fixes to
the QIF importer.

Cheers,
Charles