GnuCash v2.21 - importing QIF file ...

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 20 11:57:42 EST 2008

Hi,

zed <zed at zed.net.nz> writes:

> For some time I have been using KMyMoney for my accounting needs.  I have
> now changed over to the GNOME environment and decided to give Gnucash a
> try but cannot import my account data files.
>
> Firstly, I saved the KMyMoney files as QIF.  Loaded Gnucash and clicked on
> Import.  Went to the directory in which the account file was and them
> clicked on Forward.  It appeared to be importing but I then got an error
> message:
>
> QIF file parse failed.  Data for number or date does not match a known
> format

This error means either the number field or the date field failed.

> The date format chosen for KMyMoney was the ISO yyyy.mmm.dd.  So I went to
> preferences in Gnucash and chose that date format and tried the import
> again, with the same resulting error message.
>
> Can anybody on the list assist me with this problem, please.

If you look in your QIF file (QIF is just text) then you'll see some
examples.  The Date field is under 'D', and the number fields are
under a bunch of other ones.

Try to find a negative number somewhere.   IIRC that KMM exports
negative numbers as:  (1234.56) instead of -1234.56 which would
definitely confuse the GnuCash importer as the former is not a supported
format.