Understanding "Advanced Portfolio" report

Paul Stansell ps at ph.ed.ac.uk
Wed Feb 20 17:32:19 EST 2008

Hello,

I have a question about the "Advanced Portfolio" report in gnucash 2.2.3.
It seems that this chart is not well documented in the Help Manual and I
don't understand the meaning of many of the column headings.

I would very much appreciate it if anyone could explain to me the meanings
of the following column headings:

1. Basis

2. Money In

3. Money Out

4. Realised Gain

5. Unrealised Gain

6. Total Gain

7. Total Return

Some of these sound very obvious, but I'm unsure of the difference
between, say, Money Out and Realise Gain.

Also, how does gnucash distinguish between Money Out and Brokerage Fees?

My confusion is undoubtedly exacerbated by the fact that the Advanced
Portfolio report seems broken in my current version 2.2.3.  For example, I
bought four stocks with a single payment and so I used a split transaction
to divide the single payment between the stocks, but in the report the
Money In value of each of the stocks is that of the total of the four
stocks.  Another example is a stock that I have held since I bought it and
for which the report tells me that I have made a Total Gain of minus three
times the value of the stock!  They all made sense to me in gnucash 1.8.12
which I used previously.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Paul Stansell