Unable to use security editor to enlist new stocks for Dhaka Stock Exchange

Robert Smits bob at rsmits.ca
Thu Feb 28 15:12:55 EST 2008

On February 28, 2008 07:38:50 am you wrote:
> Robert Smits <bob at rsmits.ca> writes:
> > On February 26, 2008 06:52:32 am Derek Atkins wrote:
> >> It's not our fault people don't read the docs.  And changing the
> >> interface from the correct one just because people can't read
> >> docs just does the interface a disservice.  I'm sure that for every
> >> one person that asks about this there are a hundred who just figure
> >> it out.  We should cater to the silent majority.
> >
> > I really must respond to this. For years, now, on many distributions the
> > installation of GnuCash does NOT result in being able to read the help
> > files. You, Derek have been very helpful to me personally and I
> > appreciate it, and so has this listserve but the standard install - at
> > least for opensuse - doesn't install the help file. Please don't blame
> > the users for not reading non-existant documentation.
>
> No, I blame suse for shipping a sub-standard distribution.
> The docs work great on Fedora, Gentoo, Debian, and Ubuntu.

What exactly is it that's different with OpenSuse from other distros that
breaks Gnucash documentation?

From the users point of view, it is gnucash that's broken. If this just gets
ignored, as it appears to have been since opensuse 10.2, those of us on
opensuse just will never have access to documentation in the same way as
other distros.  And it will gnucash that's blamed for not working, whether or
not it's fair.

> > And I have tried to follow the convoluted reason why this is so, but
> > don't understand it.

From what I understand gnucash looks for the documentation in

/usr/share/gnucash/gnome/help/gnucash/C/gnucash-guide.xml and can't find it
there.

In OpenSuse, the documentation gets installed in
/usr/share/gnome/help/gnucash/C/gnucash-guide.xml However, copying the
documentation to the folder that Gnucash is supposed to be looking in has
absolutely no effect - it still can't find it.

> > I have downloaded the html help file and printed it off, but I'm not
> > always near it, nor is it always current.
>
> http://www.gnucash.org/ has an online copy of the docs.

Sure. But even printing this off is not an adequate substitute for having help
working properly.

Bob.

Bob Smits bob at rsmits.ca
My friends, it is solidarity of labor we want. We do not want to find fault
with each other, but to solidify our forces and say to each other: "We must
be together; our masters are joined together and we must do the same thing."
Mother Jones 1902, Speaking before the convention of the UMWA,Indianapolis,IN