How to check upcoming tranactions by account

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 08:41:31 EST 2008

On Jan 1, 2008 6:01 AM, Russell Gadd <rustleg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am converting from Ms Money to Gnucash and have set up all my historic
> records and entered scheduled transactions for my accounts. I have several
> bank accounts to track and need a way to look ahead at what money is due to
> come out of each account in the near future to ensure I am not overdrawn.
>
> Unfortunately the list at the top of the scheduled transactions editor
> doesn't show the amount or the account(s) involved in the transaction. Is
> there another way of viewing upcoming transactions by account? Maybe a
> report ? (but I haven't found it).
>
> Ideally the report would be in account order, within each account there
> would be a line showing an upcoming transaction and the resulting balance of
> the account after the transaction is made. The report would presumably need
> to have parameters determining the accounts to show and the date range.
>
> I had a brief look at custom reports but didn't manage to get the facility
> to work. This was in the sample report: "This is a sample GnuCash report.
> See the guile (scheme) source code in the scm/report directory for details
> on writing your own reports, or extending existing reports." - I'm using
> Windows XP (sigh, reason for going to Gnucash is to ditch Windows in due
> course) and can't find such a directory.

Did you download the gnucash sources?

You didn't ask for advice on ditching Windows, but I'll make a few
comments anyway, having helped others break the Windows habit (you've
made the first step to recovery: acknowledging that you've got a
problem :-) I'd suggest not going cold turkey, but instead squash your
Windows partition (after backing up the whole machine with something
like Acronis) with a tool like Partition Magic, to make space for
Linux. I run the Gentoo distribution myself, but if you aren't an
experienced Linux admin and/or don't care about the fine-grained level
of control Gentoo gives you, Ubuntu would be a much better choice
(very easy to install and excellent package management). There are
other good distributions as well and others will have different
opinions as to the best choice  -- this is a religious issue. Once the
installation is complete, you'll be able to boot either Windows or
Linux. It is not difficult to arrange for access from the Linux
environment to your Windows files, so you can copy to the Linux
filesystem as needed. If simultaneous access to Linux and Windows
would be advantageous, you can install VMware Server (free) and create
a Windows virtual machine in your Linux environment. You can arrange
for that virtual machine to see your Linux filesystem (using Samba). I
would suggest that any files you write in the Windows virtual machine
(other than perhaps applications you install) reside in the Linux
filesystem. If you are new at this (I don't know what you know), none
of this is detailed enough for you to actually do it -- I'm just
trying to give you a high-level sketch of what is possible.

/Don