How to check upcoming tranactions by account

Russell Gadd rustleg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 05:08:13 EST 2008

On 01/01/2008, Charles Day <cedayiv at gmail.com> wrote:

> <snip>
> For scheduled transactions I too would love see a list of upcoming
> scheduled transactions along with their estimated values and the resulting
> balance that would remain in the account. In Quicken, for example, this list
> appears in several places and forms. For example, when you look at a
> register, upcoming scheduled transactions for that register are shown
> separately at the bottom. Very handy.
>
> But I also think that there could be some genuine usefulness to having
> transactions that are entered as estimates. This could be handy for
> transactions between accounts with different currencies, for example. When I
> purchase a meal in currency X, but the expense account is in currency Y, I
> might not know the exchange rate at the time of entry. All I know is how
> much of currency X I spent. But GnuCash could estimate it and mark the
> transaction as an estimate. Later, the actual exchange rate could be
> downloaded automatically (or entered by hand). Just an idea, but off topic
> so I'll shut up now.

Well not really off topic Charles. After looking through the other
contributions here, I think this is precisely what I would like to see.
Maybe we should put some enhancement request in to Bugzilla? Shall I start
by proposing a form of words (many of them yours!) and others can chip in
with ideas until this is good enough to post on Bugzilla. Here goes:

It would be very useful to flag a transaction as an estimate, so that a
report could then be generated which would list those currently entered as
estimates. This could be a toggle value y/n similar to the reconciliation
column in the register. There are at least 2 situations where this is
required:
1: At present there is no facility to separately project the future balance
in an account without actually generating the future scheduled transactions
in advance, in which case some of these future transactions would be
estimates. A user will need to review estimates at some time, often before
the bank statement is received.
2: This could be handy for transactions between accounts with different
currencies. When I purchase a meal in currency X, but the expense account is
in currency Y, I might not know the exchange rate at the time of entry. All
I know is how much of currency X I spent. But I (or GnuCash) could estimate
it and mark the transaction as an estimate. Later, the actual exchange rate
could be downloaded automatically (or entered by hand).

Russell