Any Interest in Configurable Imbalance name

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 4 09:25:14 EST 2008

"Donald Allen" <donaldcallen at gmail.com> writes:

> But this is something that users have and will have strong opinions
> about, so discussing whether to do it at all, as well as UI approach
> if you decide to go ahead,  is appropriate here, I think. *How* to do
> it (implementation discussion) is certainly best moved to
> gnucash-devel. You might draw the line somewhere else, but that's how
> I see it.

Not really.  Users don't really have strong opinions about it, except
that from 1.8 -> 2.0 most people didn't like the change to automatically
create the Imbalance accounts.  So, I think most users want to go
back to that.

> I absolutely agree that users should have at least the option of
> asking Gnucash (via a Preference item) to prevent them from entering
> an imbalanced transaction (or choose the current behavior). I believe
> 1.8.x prevented the user from entering an imbalanced transaction, and
> for me, the 2.x.y versions are a step backward in this regard.

Options, in general, are bad.  It means multiple code paths and
more testing to do.  So I think there should be an option between
1.8 and 2.0 mode (with 1.8 being the default), but I don't think
that the name of the account should be something you can choose.