Any Interest in Configurable Imbalance name

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 18:45:28 EST 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 5:58 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> Quoting "Pelton, Brian" <bpelton at jgboswell.com>:
>
> > I would like to see the ability to configure the name of the imbalance
> > account.
> >
> > "Imbalance-USD" sticks out like sore thumb.  I guess that's the point.
> >
> > I would personally like to be able to name it something else
> >

> > Would a patch against Scrub.c that pulls a configuration value be
> > accepted??
>
> I'd rather see the code changed to pop up a dialog to prevent the user
> from generating imbalanced transactions from the register.
>
> But this is a development question and should be discussed on
> gnucash-devel, not on the user list.

But this is something that users have and will have strong opinions
about, so discussing whether to do it at all, as well as UI approach
if you decide to go ahead,  is appropriate here, I think. *How* to do
it (implementation discussion) is certainly best moved to
gnucash-devel. You might draw the line somewhere else, but that's how
I see it.

I absolutely agree that users should have at least the option of
asking Gnucash (via a Preference item) to prevent them from entering
an imbalanced transaction (or choose the current behavior). I believe
1.8.x prevented the user from entering an imbalanced transaction, and
for me, the 2.x.y versions are a step backward in this regard.

/Don