GnuCash under Windows

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Sun Jan 6 21:47:07 EST 2008

Hello,

Further info on my Finance::Quote problem running install-fq-mods.bat on
my Windows XP SP2 system.

I have been trying to figure out why I cannot run Install On line Price
Retrieval from the Start Menu of my XP system so I upgraded to v2.2.2 of
GnuCash but the problem still exists (See below)

The version of perl I have installed is from Activestate Ver 5.10.0,
Binary Build 1001, Dec. 18, 2007.

I have looked through install-fq-mods.bat and it seems to my extremely
limited knowledge of .bat files that it is looking for a specific
version of perl. Is that correct?

On the ActiveState web site there are two different versions of perl
available for Windows x86, 5.10.0.1001 and 5.8.8.822.

Which version should I install?

Also, when I was running the 2.2.2 exe file it *appeared* that it found
perl OK but the command prompt window flashed up and went away pretty
quickly so I'm not sure.

My problem:

I have struck a problem with GnuCash on my Win XP box trying to install
On line Price Retrieval.

The first time I clicked on the menu item I received the following error:

Check Perl
Did not find a useable perl
Please install ActivePerl <URL>
and add the bin directory to your path environment variable.

I did the above. ActivePerl is installed and it added the following to
the system wide path:
C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin.

I then added the same to my path variable as well.

I logged out and logged back in and next time I tried to run the
'Install On line Price Retrieval' I received the same error.

Can someone let me know where I have gone wrong please.

I have checked the archives but the info there has not helped me,
probably due to ignorance :-)

Regards,

Graeme.