Another attempt to install Gnucash on Mac OSX 10.4.11

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 7 10:01:19 EST 2008

On Jan 7, 2008, at 3:02 AM, Mark Rosenthal wrote:

> Since trying to load gnucash back in september I have finally got
> round to trying this installation again. However I still get the same
> result. The following is a report on what I did, can anyone suggest a
> way forward?
>
> sudo port uninstall gnucash
> ---> The following versions of gnucash are currently installed:
> ---> gnucash @2.2.1_1+guile16+without_docs (active)
> ---> gnucash @2.2.1_2+guile16+without_docs+without_ofx+without_quotes
> Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: Please specify the full
> version as recorded in the port registry
>
> sudo port uninstall gnucash @2.2.1_1+guile16+without_docs
> Password:
> ---> Deactivating gnucash 2.2.1_1+guile16+without_docs
> ---> Uninstalling gnucash 2.2.1_1+guile16+without_docs
>

> sudo port uninstall gnucash @2.2.1_2+guile16+without_docs+without_ofx
> +without_quotes
> ---> Uninstalling gnucash 2.2.1_2+guile16+without_docs+without_ofx
> +without_quotes
>

> sudo port install gnucash +without_ofx +without_quotes +without_docs
> ---> Installing gnucash 2.2.1_2+guile16+without_docs+without_ofx
> +without_quotes
> ---> Activating gnucash 2.2.1_2+guile16+without_docs+without_ofx
> +without_quotes
> ---> Cleaning gnucash
>
> I then tried to run the resultant installation and got the splash
> screen and it hangs at the point where it says: loading data.
>
> I have looked for a .LCK file but cannot find one.
>
> When I run the app from a bash shell I get the following output:
>
> gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at
> configure time.
>
> Found Finance::Quote version 1.13
>
> Please can anyone shed any light on this....
>
> Regards
>
> Mark

The hang on startup with 2.2.1 occurs whenever gnucash is trying to
put up any dialog while the splash screen is showing. That includes
the "file is already open" warning and the new account wizard the
first time you ever open gnucash. So, if you haven't ever established
a set of gnucash accounts, you are probably running into the second
case.

Try "gnucash --nofile" and then use the file menu to launch the new
file wizard.

Dave
--
David Reiser