Temporary File Deletion

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Jan 10 16:06:57 EST 2008

>Slightly OT, but... I was wondering about that. Would a firesafe prevent
>heat damage to the disks enough to keep them readable? Mostly these are
>made to prevent papers from burning up, etc.. I do have my doubts to
>their suitableness to store discs/etc... in and not have them melt/warp
>due to heat.

That's a "rating" question (rating of fire safe). There are various
"grades" by standards generally certified by some testing agency as to
how long before contents reach a certain temperature inside when the
temperature outside is normal for a fire. Of course you pay more for a
"two hour" safe than a "one hour" safe, etc. A safe/container designed
to do no more than keep papers from BURNING would be far less than a
"fire safe" (papers tightly packed in a non burnable airtight container
won't burn easily and it takes pretty high temperatures to convert  to
charcoal --- usually in a house fire wood will burn on the surface, not
hot enough to be chemically converted in the interior)

I was JUST indicating that sitting on a shelf nearby your computer a
waste of time. If you are serious about backup security, you have
multiple copies of backups dispersed to multiple locations. You can then
have one copy handy for recovery of lost data, one in a "vault" remote
in the building, one offsite somewhere, etc. The corporate
"disaster/recovery" plans with which I used to be involved generally
didn't have the remote copies in the same city! A lot of data being
trucked* back and forth.

For the home or small business user, two copies, one handy and one
remote should suffice (you probably will only ever use the handy one to
restore "lost data" but the remote one exists in case of a real disaster).

Please note that I was NOT suggesting that having old copies of logs
etc. wasn't important for digging out errors. In effect I was saying
"keep everything forever SOMEWHERE" (but not necessarily taking up
room/confusing things in your active directory)

Michael

* When you are talking about transmitting MASSIVE amounts of data, a
truck loaded with  backup media, even though it takes a few hours to
make the trip, has more "bandwidth" than wires.