Temporary File Deletion

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 20:23:58 EST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 7:30 PM, Andrew Sackville-West
<andrew at swclan.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 07:13:53PM -0500, hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:

> > > this is what I do with an @daily cron job. Tar is all up and gpg
> > > encrypt it to myself and then use an ftp script to upload it to some
> > > web sapce I have. works great and gives me, by using the weekday in
> > > the filename, a seven day rotating offsite backup. That is purely for
> > > total disaster recovery.
> >
> > Just make sure your executor has your keys -- or can get them.

Your executor only needs the key if

1. You die, and
2. The computer and on-site backups of your unencrypted gnucash file
go up in flames (possibly the same event as 1?), and
3. You haven't done a full backup (again, containing the unencrypted
gnucash file) and stuck it in a safe-deposit box.

Here's my approach to backups, since no one asked ;-). I do all my
computing on three laptops that serve different purposes because of
weight and other differences. They are all set up dual-boot (Gentoo
and XP). I keep my Linux home directory rsync'ed among them. I have
three 300 Gb SATA drives in USB boxes. I back up the machines to
whichever is the primary drive  using rsync for my home directory, a
home-brew backup script that gets run from the Gentoo install/live-cd
that tars up everything and writes out partition info and the MBR,
*and* I use Acronis to back up the Windows partition (plus partition
info again). There is also stuff on those drives that's big and that I
don't need online all the time, such as photos and music. So that
needs to be backed up, since there's no copy on the laptops. That gets
backed up up about once/week to the secondary drive, using rsync. The
third drive is in my safe deposit box. Periodically, I do a complete
backup of all the machines to the primary, copy to the secondary, make
the secondary the primary, take the old primary to the bank, and the
swap with the drive in the safe-deposit box, which becomes the new
secondary. All these backup drives are ext2 (they could be ext3, but
ext2 performs better and the downside is I'd have to fsck in the event
of a crash; it has never happened). This allows you to use e2label to
label the filesystem, which you can refer to in /etc/fstab, allowing
you to mount the drive by  label. This is crucial in scheme like this,
where confusion about which device is which (is the primary /dev/sdb1
or /dev/sdc1?) when you have the primary and the secondary both
spinning. So the primary and secondary drives are labeled as such and
always get mounted by their labels, using their fstab entries, which
causes them to be mounted on specific, different mount points. Of
course, part of the process of rotating their roles involves
relabeling.

/Don