Using GNUCash for business purposes

Keith A. Milner kamilner at superlative.org
Sat Jan 12 16:43:28 EST 2008

On Saturday 12 January 2008 11:48:23 Colin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just installed GNUCash on my Windows XP machine as a trial for
> helping me manage an up and coming small business, but am having trouble
> understanding how I would provide a quote to my customers.
>
> I can create an invoice but cannot find a way to create a quote. Is this
> possible?

Not directly, as Gnucash doesn't have a specific quote capability.

However, one approach could be to create an invoice, but not post it. With the
correct custom report this could appear as a quote. If the customer was happy
with the quote, selecting Post would then allow an invoice to be created.

Note that Gnucash is a general-purpose, double-entry accounting package.
Arguably, things like quotes, purchase orders and invoices are not pure
accounting, but are more to do with business management and business
practice. A quote or a purchase order, for instance, has zero impact on the
accounts; no transactions are performed.

Gnucash has some "business" add-ins for dealing with customers, vendors, bills
and invoices. Certain "business management" functions do have a direct impact
on the accounts. For instance, an invoice creates a transaction from an
income account to A/c Receiveable.  Because of the direct relationship with
the accounts, capabilities have been provided to assist with these functions.

However, Gnucash is not a full-blown business management system.

I would recommend if you need to do quotes, purchase orders, and the like that
you develop your own templates for these in a Word Processor or (probably
better) spreadsheet.

If you need something more than this, you could look at "CRM" packages like
Sugar CRM.

Others may be able to recommend other packages.

Cheers,

--
Keith Milner