Editing the "other side" of reconciled transactions

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Sun Jan 13 13:12:56 EST 2008

I've been using GnuCash for many years, and one thing puzzles me. I'm
not sure whether this is something I've ever been able to do, or
something that's changed in GC2:

If I have a transaction reconciled on one side but not the other, why
can't I change the account which the non-reconciled side is pointing to?
This is very frequent when I, for example have a transaction like this:

                             Debit   Credit
Some Transaction:
   Assets:My Bank Account    1.00
   Expenses:Something                 1.00

Now, I reconcile my bank accounts monthly (in accordance with the
statements I receive), which is fine. However, I often want (e.g. at the
end of a year) to "juggle around" the expenses to which payments are
allocated, perhaps to gain a greater sense of granularity or just to
make things more consistent. Logically (to me) I should be able to do
this without affecting the reconciliation status, because I'm not
changing the reconciled side of the transaction. However, GC doesn't
appear to be allow me to do this without:

- remembering the reconciled amount on the bank account
- forcibly unreconciling the bank account side (which makes the account
   reconciliation wrong)
- Making the change
- Re-reconciling the bank account with the previously-memorised figure

This seems like a slow, "dangerous" (from the point of view of
unreconciling stuff which is correctly reconciled) and wholly
unnecessary procedure.

I can't find anything in the docs, or an option to disable this behaviour.

Can anyone convince me of why it works like this and/or give me a
workaround? Or should I file a feature request? (or is there already one?)

Thanks

Tim