File deletion foulup

Des Dougan des at DouganConsulting.com
Sun Jan 13 18:52:38 EST 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 17:33 -0600, Norman Frederick wrote:
> I have really messed up.
> I downloaded Gnucash and installed it. Everything was fine. I set up an
> account and plugged in some data. Fine! Then I realized that I was
> setting up accounts wrong. When I tried to delete the account and or
> change it, I did not find out how. So I uninstalled the program,
> intending to re-install and start over. Then I evidently did a very bad
> thing. I found a bunch of Gnucash files  in my Documents folder (where I
> keep working files) and deleted them.
> When I install Gnucash I seem to have a good install. When I try to
> start the program, there is a delay, then a box comes up with the message
> --- Cannot find file fred_Acct.2008112114013.xac -- and the computer
> sits and does nothing.
> I am using Fedora 8 updated regularly.
> Is there a way to get Gnucash to work properly? I have removed and
> re-installed 3 times with the same results.
> Is there a startup file that I can modify to make the program setup
> properly?
> Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

>From a terminal window, run "gnucash --nofile" which will open the
program without a data file. You can then start your process again.

Note - in Linux, uninstalling and reinstalling does not generally need
to be done to resolve issues - there are generally better ways of fixing
issues that arise.

Good luck!
--

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group Inc.

Ph: 604-866-2848       Email: des at DouganConsulting dot com

        www.DouganConsulting.com

Peace of Mind, One Computer at a Time.