File deletion foulup

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jan 13 20:19:42 EST 2008

Hi,

Quoting Norman Frederick <normfred at charter.net>:

> I have really messed up.

Nah, not really...

> I downloaded Gnucash and installed it. Everything was fine. I set up an
> account and plugged in some data. Fine! Then I realized that I was
> setting up accounts wrong. When I tried to delete the account and or
> change it, I did not find out how. So I uninstalled the program,
> intending to re-install and start over. Then I evidently did a very bad
> thing. I found a bunch of Gnucash files  in my Documents folder (where I
> keep working files) and deleted them.

Nah, that's not that bad..

> When I install Gnucash I seem to have a good install. When I try to
> start the program, there is a delay, then a box comes up with the message
> --- Cannot find file fred_Acct.2008112114013.xac -- and the computer
> sits and does nothing.

Right, GnuCash remembers the last few files you've opened and tries
to open the most recent file.  in this case it doesn't.  Just click
it away and then continue on and create a new file.

> I am using Fedora 8 updated regularly.
> Is there a way to get Gnucash to work properly? I have removed and
> re-installed 3 times with the same results.

Has nothing to do with that, unless you decide to re-install your
whole machine.  The state is stored in gconf.

> Is there a startup file that I can modify to make the program setup
> properly?

Well, once it comes up you can use File -> New -> New File.  Or if
you don't want to see the popup first you can run "gnucash --nofile"
first and then use the New File menu options.