reorganizing into subaccounts with reconciled transactions

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Mon Jan 14 11:59:13 EST 2008

Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I have a credit line.  I want to establish subaccounts so I can keep track
> what the money was borrowed for.
>
> But I have about 200 already reconciled transactions dating back about
> three years. I'm going to have to replace each (reconciled) split that
> refers to the balance of the whole credit line by one or two (sometimes
> money is borrowed for several purposes) splits. The new splits should add
> up to the same mount, with the same reconciled status.
>
> What's the easiest way to accomplish these changes?  I'm hoping it
> isn't to edit the gnucash file using emacs.
>
> I can program, so if I need to write custom software I can do it

Option 1: modify each reconciled split so that it refers to the correct
subaccount.  Rerun reconciliation.
Option 2: for each reconciled split, add a new tx which transfers that
split amount to the correct subaccount.  Rerun reconciliation to
reconcile all of these transfers.
Option 3: once a year, add a new tx which transfers the total amount for
each split to the correct subaccount.  Rerun reconciliation to reconcile
all of these transfers.

Phil