reorganizing into subaccounts with reconciled transactions

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 14 12:35:26 EST 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 04:31:22PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I have a credit line.  I want to establish subaccounts so I can keep track
> what the money was borrowed for.
>
> But I have about 200 already reconciled transactions dating back about
> three years. I'm going to have to replace each (reconciled) split that
> refers to the balance of the whole credit line by one or two (sometimes
> money is borrowed for several purposes) splits. The new splits should add
> up to the same mount, with the same reconciled status.
>
> What's the easiest way to accomplish these changes?  I'm hoping it
> isn't to edit the gnucash file using emacs.

within gnucash, there is no easy way to do this. Although if it's a
situation where *most* of the txns are going to go to just one place,
then the trick is to move all the othersto their new places and then
just reparent and delete the current account. That will give you the
option of moving all the remaining txns to one spot. But this is only
really useful if you've got a significant portion of the txns going to
one place like that.

If the problem is well defined (all Description X txns need to move to
accoutn Y) then use a Find register to separate things out and then
manually change the accounts in the txns.

> I can program, so if I need to write custom software I can do it.

you could parse the file looking for the GUID of the current account
and replacing with the new ones, but that's not easy either. Look at
the xml file, it's not hard to understand once you realise that all
those guid's are pointing to accounts and txns and so forth.