Register colors & appearance

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 16 18:25:48 EST 2008

Quoting Kim_Wood <kim.wood at bigpond.net.au>:

> Charles Day wrote:
>>> I think one of the single most useful defaults changes we could make
>>> would be
>>> the default in Register view from Basic Ledger to Auto-Split.  Auto-Split
>>> demonstrates the realities of double-entry, Split balance and the
>>> debit/credit cells without cluttering the display too much.
>>
>> To me, there is no point showing the split lines if the transaction
>> only contains a credit/debit pair.  Unless you enter memos on these
>> split lines, they are completely redundant with what you see in
>> single-line mode. Sure, it may show that double-entry accounting is
>> being used, but I already know that - do I need to see it proved over
>> and over, eating up valuable GUI space and pushing other transactions
>> out of view? I'd like to see a variation on the Auto-Split mode in
>> which the splits are automatically shown only for transactions that
>> contain more than two split lines. Even then it would be nice to have
>> the option to hide the balancing split line that is redundant with
>> what you see in single-line mode.

I'll point out that Auto-Split mode ONLY expands the "current" transaction.
So all the lines are single line except for the current cursor.

Having said that, I agree that a new "smart split mode" would be nice
where it will be single-line for basic txns and multi-line for
split transactions...  And indeed I believe I filed an RFE for that
years ago.