Register colors & appearance

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 09:28:39 EST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 6:25 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> Quoting Kim_Wood <kim.wood at bigpond.net.au>:

> >> To me, there is no point showing the split lines if the transaction
> >> only contains a credit/debit pair.  Unless you enter memos on these
> >> split lines, they are completely redundant with what you see in
> >> single-line mode. Sure, it may show that double-entry accounting is
> >> being used, but I already know that - do I need to see it proved over
> >> and over, eating up valuable GUI space and pushing other transactions
> >> out of view? I'd like to see a variation on the Auto-Split mode in
> >> which the splits are automatically shown only for transactions that
> >> contain more than two split lines. Even then it would be nice to have
> >> the option to hide the balancing split line that is redundant with
> >> what you see in single-line mode.
>
> I'll point out that Auto-Split mode ONLY expands the "current" transaction.
> So all the lines are single line except for the current cursor.
>
> Having said that, I agree that a new "smart split mode" would be nice
> where it will be single-line for basic txns and multi-line for
> split transactions...  And indeed I believe I filed an RFE for that
> years ago.

Suppose you wanted to go back and edit a previously entered
transaction and add a split? If it didn't already have a split, you'd
have to click the 'split' button. Otherwise not. That feels odd to me.
I'm pretty happy with the current auto-split mode -- nice consistent
behavior, and I see no harm in expanding a transaction with just two
sides. So I hope that if this idea gets implemented, it is done as an
option, as a previous poster said above. I wouldn't want to see this
forced on us.

/Don