Workaround for Localization Behaviour?

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 17 19:48:39 EST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 7:27 PM, Guillaume Lessard wrote:

> On Mac OS X 10.5, GnuCash has what I would characterize as incorrect
> localization behaviour; it picks its units and time/date display from
> the locale, but also derives its display language from the locale.
> There is a separate preference for display languages (implemented as
> an ordered list.) I happen to have English before my locale's default
> language, so I'm not getting the expected behaviour.
>
> Is this a gnucash bug or is this something inherited from the gnome
> toolkit?
>
> Is there a way to force gnucash's localization to something other than
> the environment's default?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Guillaume Lessard
> glessard at tffenterprises.com

I don't know all the possibilities, but you can set
$LANG, $LC_MESSAGES, and $LC_MONETARY in your .profile (or .tcshrc)
file.

Something else is setting my $LANG variable, but I use LC_MESSAGES to
force gtkprint to assume a default US Letter sized page (not useful in
the fink version of gnucash until the much awaited Great Gnome Update
to Gnome 2.20 'soon' ;-) ), and LC_MONETARY to make the commas appear
as I expect for thousands separators (wish I needed the millions
separator...).

Dave
--
David Reiser